Heritage Middle School  Logo
Our School Visitor Pass Information e-Flyers
Heritage Middle School Staff
Parent Resources HMS Nurse PTSA Testing Information 6th Grade Transition Family Resources Device Check-in
Student Resources
HMS Activities
Student Clubs HMS Flight
HMS Counseling Department
Library Media Center Research Resources Research Basics 2016-17 Twain & Truman Quizzes Battle of the Books How do I... Summer Reading Challenge Technology For Teachers 7th ELA

Family Resources

Equipment/Accessibility Assistance Resources

Information below copied directly from public websites as service to families.  Please contact the organization or review the websites directly for updated and detailed information. The list below is in no particular order. Please review the list carefully.


Bishop Sullivan Center (816) 231-0984

- For families who have children with special needs.  Limited amounts provided. 

- Brian Petrie Memorial Fund

- Contact agency for more specifics regarding out of pocket expenses/costs.


Children’s Miracle Network in some areas. www.childrensmiraclenetwork.org


Coalition for Independence  www.cfi-kc.org

4911 State Avenue Kansas City, KS 66102
866-201-3829 Toll-Free or 913-321-5140

- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) recycling program where used items such as wheelchairs, crutches, commode chairs, shower chairs, positioning devices, and a host of other DME items are made available at nominal costs. 


Rehab Equipment Exchange http://www.rehabequipmentexchange.com/

This national network is a free service to facilitate the exchange and transfer of used rehabilitation equipment.  Individuals can use the website to buy, sell, or donate used rehab items of many types, including wheelchairs, pediatric equipment, mobility aids, ADL (Activities of Daily Living) aids, communication devices, assistive technology, and exercise equipment. 

It is advisable to check rehab item details with the owner before purchasing and to independently verify information.  It is recommended that each item is checked by a Rehabilitation Technology Specialist, Physical Therapist, or other appropriate professional before use.


First Hand Foundation (816) 201-1569 www.cerner.com/firsthand/default.aspx

2800 Rockcreek Parkway Kansas City, Mo. 64117

- Application can be downloaded from the website

- Expenses Covered:

  • Treatment: Expenses associated with clinical procedures, medicine, therapy, prosthesis, etc. 
  • Equipment: Expenses associated with wheelchairs, assistive technology equipment, care devices, hearing aids, etc. 
  • Displacement: Expenses associated with families of seriously ill children who must travel away from their home during treatment—lodging, food, gas, parking and transportation 
  • Vehicle modifications:Expenses associated with lifts, ramps and transfer boards

Expenses NOT Covered:

  • Home modification projects 
  • Any alternative and experimental drugs, treatment or therapy where there is significant controversy in the medical community with respect to specific treatment 
  • Wheelchair-accessible van purchases 
  • Any requests for research funding, mass population grants or other nonprofit organizational grants 
  • Any request for debt reduction

Adjusted gross income, less out of pocket medical expenses for that child in the past year, divided by number of dependents. Contact agency for more specifics regarding out of pocket expenses/costs.


Friends of Man (303) 798-2342 www.friendsofman.org


Hope Builders Home Repair 1-888-HOPE-001 http://hopebuilders-kc.org/

Qualifications for Homeowner

·         Owner must own and live in the house being repaired.

·         Owner must have limited personal or family financial resources.

·         Owners are traditionally elderly or disabled.

Work Hope BUILDERS can or is willing to undertake

·         Wheelchair ramps

·         Accessibility Modifications (door widenings)

·         Bathroom Repairs and Adaptations

·         Floor and wall repairs

·         Weatherization

·         Minor electrical and plumbing

·         Interior and exterior painting

·         Exterior wood replacement (trim, porches, etc.)

·         Yard clean-up and maintenance


Independent Living Centers Missouri:  http://www.mosilc.org/CIL.htm

Centers for Independent Living (CIL) promote the self-reliance of individuals with disabilities through education, advocacy, training and support.

The core services provided by all CILs are: individual and systems advocacy, information and referral services, peer counseling, independent living skills, and deinstitutionalization.


Rebuilding Together www.rebuildingtogether.org/affiliates/

Rebuilding Together is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization providing critical home repairs, modifications and improvements for America’s low-income homeowners. We rebuild the homes and lives of the nation’s most vulnerable homeowners and families at no cost to those served. Our work extends beyond the four walls of a home to impact the health and vibrancy of entire communities. **Only in specific areas


Collaboration Works www.collaborationworksonline.com

- Helps with medical equipment needs. They also accept donations too. The nurse told me they can also accept unused medication that they can redistribute to people who do not have insurance coverage


The Spina Bifida Association of Greater Kansas City

(816) 277-9087 www.sbakc.org
P.O. Box 5462
Kansas City, MO 64131

- Funding for wheelchairs and braces for children with spina bifida. 

- Application can be downloaded from the website. 


UCP – United Cerebral Palsy http://www.ucp.org/

United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) is a leading service provider and advocate for adults and children with disabilities, including cerebral palsy. As one of the largest health nonprofits in America, the UCP mission is to advance the independence, productivity and full citizenship of people with disabilities through an affiliate network.

UCP of Greater Kansas City
3101 Broadway, Suite 400
Kansas City, MO 64111
Phone: (816) 531-4454
Fax: (816) 531-3383
E-mail: bscott@ucpkc.org
Web site: http://www.ucpkc.org


Disabled Children’s Relief Fund www.dcrf.com

DCRF grant applications may be used for modest awards for assistive devices, rehabilitative services, arts and humanities projects, or for efforts to bolster compliance with existing laws for the benefit of children with disabilities. Applications may be submitted by families (parent or guardian) for an individual child, or by a non-profit organization for a small group of children.  Applications can be downloaded from the website.


Variety of Greater Kansas City  www.varietykc.org

- Variety Children’S Charity Serves The Greater KC Area.
- This includes Johnson, Jackson, Clay, Platte and Wyandotte counties. 

- Application can be downloaded from the website.

May provide available funds and/or Mobility Equipment to individuals:

            1.         for provision of direct service for children:

                        a.         with special needs

                        b.         under the age of 21

                        c.         within the Greater Kansas City area

            2.         for a specific medical need or piece of equipment



The United Healthcare Children's Foundation


- Application can be obtained online

- 501(c)(3) non-profit charity dedicated to facilitating access to medical-related services that have the potential to significantly enhance either the clinical condition or the quality of life of the child and that are not fully covered by the available commercial health benefit plan. This “support” is in the form of a medical grant to be used for medical services not covered or not completely covered by commercial health benefit plans.


Mobility Assisance

- National Mobility Equipment Dealer’s www.nmeda.org   (Mobility Rebate Programs)

- Ford Mobility Motoring Program 800-952-2248

- General Motors Mobility Assistance Center 800-323-9935

- Lexus Mobility Assistance Program 800-255-3987

- Volkswagen Mobility Access Program 1-800-drive-vw


All the following programs can be further accessed at:www.at.mo.gov/access/index.html

The Kids Assistive Technologyprogram (KAT) can provide limited funding for assistive technology, vehicle access modifications and some home access modifications for children under age 21. To get an application form or to ask questions about the KAT program, call (800) 647-8557.

The purpose of the KAT Program is to provide help when no other funding source is available, or when other funding sources are not adequate to cover the costs of the needed assistive technology or access modifications. Applications for children in families of lower income receive priority.


The Telecommunications Access Program

- Includes the Telecommunications Access Program for Telephone (TAP-T) and Telecommunications Access Program for Internet (TAP-I).

- The Telecommunications Access Program for Telephone (TAP-T) provides access to basic voice telephone calling (both sending and receiving) for individuals with all types of disabilities through the delivery of adaptive telephone equipment. The program provides such equipment as text telephones, voice carry over phones, phone for hearing carry over, amplified phones, Braille phones, hands-free phones and photo phones. The Telecommunications Access Program for Internet (TAP-I) provides to Missourians who cannot use traditional computer equipment, the  adaptive computer equipment necessary for basic access to the internet and e-mail. The program provides such equipment as screen enlargement software, screen readers, adaptive keyboards or alternative pointing devices such as trackballs or rollerballs. The TAP-I program provides consumer support during the selection and initial usage of the adaptive equipment.


Show Me Loans - Low Interest - Loan Program   Loans can be applied for by Missourians with disabilities, family members, etc. for wheelchairs, electric scooters, hearing aids, computers, augmentative communication devices, electronic print enlarging devices and for other equipment made for people with disabilities. Loans may also be made for the costs of assistive technology services such as an evaluation or trainings to learn how to use a device.

Home Access Modifications- Loans may be obtained for home modification purposes such as: wheelchair ramps, stairway lifts, widening doorways, and bathroom modifications and more. Loans toward the purchase of homes are not available.

Vehicle Access Modifications- Persons may obtain loans for disability-related modifications to motor vehicles such as wheelchair lifts, ramps, or hand controls. Loans for purchases of vehicles cannot be made.

Who is Eligible to Apply?Individuals with a disability, or a family member or someone with a disability, can apply, and must be purchasing assistive technology that will enable one or more individuals with a disability to become more independent. Loan applications are reviewed by a review committee. If an applicant has credit history problems, they may contact the program first to inquire about applying. Applicants with credit history problems may also consider applying with a co-applicant with a more favorable credit history.

How do I Apply?You can obtain a loan application form by calling the number or e-mailing the address below. You may also contact us to have any questions answered about the application form.

For more information, contact Missouri Assistive Technology at (800) 647-8557. You may also send an e-mail to mexline@swbell.net.


Missouri AT Recycling Program for Durable Medical Equipment provides low- cost recycled walkers, crutches, canes, commodes, shower chairs, manual and power wheelchairs, positioning equipment and miscellaneous wheelchair parts, (i.e., tires, cushions, arm rests, footplates). Small fees are charged to individuals with disabilities based on their ability to pay.

To inquire about specific equipment or for more information you may contact Coalition for Independence Assistive Technology Center at 816-231-7166 or outside the Kansas City area at 1-866-201-3829.


Missouri AT Recycling Program for Computer Equipment provides low cost, refurbished computer systems (CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse) to adult consumers with disabilities. This program has a very limited number of computer systems available.

These computers are intended to enhance the ability to communicate with the world, to obtain information, to access government and business services and to support skill development and/or academic achievement.

Applicants for the Missouri AT Recycling Program for Computer Equipment will be assessed a fee ($60 to $200) based on their household income and the number of dependents in the home. Applicants will be informed of the required fee to be remitted before a computer can be picked up or shipped. The fee will include any shipping and handling costs for the computer.

To request a current application, please contact Elaine at 1-800-647-8557 (Voice) or 1-800-647-8558 (TTY), or by email ehoutman@swbell.net.


Swap 'n Shop

Welcome to Missouri Assistive Technology’s Swap ‘n Shop equipment exchange program, a “classified ads” service that connects people with available adaptive devices or assistive technology! Missouri Assistive Technology provides a listing of equipment that consumers would like to buy, sell, trade or donate.


ETC Program
ETC is a free, short-term assistive device loan program for school districts and agencies in Missouri.  District or agency representatives can borrow equipment in order to try out the equipment with students and clients prior to purchase, for use when a personal device is in for repair, or for other short-term needs.